Tuesday, July 27, 2010

3.5 Miles on the Treadmill

So since I didn’t get in my 4 mile run this weekend on Goat Island I decided to go ahead and try to knock it out on Monday. I am mixing things up this week and doing half of my runs on the treadmill since the temperatures in the mornings are still hot and humid. I drank lots of water yesterday afternoon and headed to the gym after work with my iPhone loaded up with an episode of Glee to watch.

Overall the treadmill wasn’t that bad. I only ran for 47.5 minutes or 3.5 miles instead of 4 and since I walked the first lap and the last lap my time for the 3 miles was about what I ran for the 5K, so it seemed like a good pace. I would like to think that I am getting used to the idea of running for longer distances, since the time went by really quickly, although that might have had something to do with watching TV. The air conditioning and flat grade helped, although I missed having the wind in my face and it seemed really stuffy running inside. Also running on the treadmill was really hurting my knees, not sure what’s up with that since they don’t hurt when I run outside. They are fine this morning, which is a relief since I was kind of gimpy last night getting up the stairs. I think this week I am finally going to go get some proper running shoes since it seems I might just stick with this hobby after all.

The side stitches were better yesterday, which was awesome since I expected them to be worse on the treadmill. I am trying a new strategy of attack this week since they were really bad last week. Basically if I feel a stitch coming on, I try to get rid of it by changing my breathing and taking several deep breathes. But if after a few minutes of deep breathing it continues to get worse then I will just walk it out. It worked like a charm yesterday, I did have to walk after about the first mile, but it took a while for it to come back and when it did I was able to fix it with breathing changes. It was a nice change of pace to run without pain in my side!

No comments:

Post a Comment