Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hills, Hills, Hills

So after rolling out of bed on the day after fireworks, too much good food and not nearly enough water to get rehydrated I decided to start the day off right with a run. The real challenge of this particular run was that it was at my in-laws house, which has a lot more hills than I ever noticed before. I felt pretty good about being able to tackle the hill in my neighborhood, but I was not prepared for the up and down of running consecutive hills for two miles. There was an added bonus knowing that I was coming back to fresh out of the oven blueberry muffins, but that unfortunately did not help my speed at all.

While this workout certainly kicked my butt it did make me more determined to be stronger the next time that I ran those hills. As a result I am now going to run the hill in my neighborhood twice on my daily 2 mile run instead of coping out and just doing it once like I had been doing. It is a loop, so it does make more sense to just run it twice instead of trying to avoid it the second time.

Today was mostly a rest day. I have been having some issues lately where I tense the muscles in my shoulders and neck while I run, so lots of stretching is in order for tonight. I’m hoping that the soreness will get better as I continue to run, but so far after three weeks it’s still sore after every run longer than 1.5 miles, which just happens to be the point where I start to slow down. Today is probably worse since the hills wore me out faster and I didn’t pay as much attention to my form as I should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment