Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spirit of the Marathon


So I sat down at my desk last night to work on my 2007 scrapbook (yes I am way behind, but at least I am still moving forward) and I pulled up Netflix to find something to watch while I worked. Well Netflix recommended that I watch the Spirit of the Marathon, which was odd, although I have watched a couple of documentaries lately. So I queued up the movie and was quite impressed.

The last half of the movie concentrated on race day and I was amazed at how many people run the Chicago Marathon. I had no idea that people ran that close together either, I’m glad that I picked a small first race. I probably related most to the two slow runners who had set a 12 minute mile pace, one who had been doing it for a couple of years and his daughter who was running her first marathon. It was inspiring to see the determination that each of these runners had and made me realize that I am nowhere near any of that just yet. The runners seemed mostly Zen with the idea of running for 2-6 hours depending on their speed and I have definitely not figured that part out yet. After only 20 minutes at a slow pace I am looking for the end of the loop to come closer.

So after watching an inspiring movie, you would think that I would be motivated this morning. Well I somehow woke up in a funk and was having negative thoughts pretty much the whole run (only 1.9 miles this morning). That extra hill this morning didn’t help either and I was gasping for air by the time I made it to the top and had to walk for probably 2 minutes before I could catch my breath. So, yeh not really proud of my efforts lately. Tomorrow I am going to take the second hill back out and focus more on my posture. My shoulders/back are already sore this morning only after about 6 hours later so I am definitely doing something I shouldn’t be doing when I get tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment