Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bugs and a Thunderstorm

Well yesterday’s run was a big fail, it is kind of funny looking back on it, but I was not at all amused at the time. When I first rolled out of bed I had checked outside because it did look a little ominous, but it was not raining yet. So literally about 30 seconds after I had tied my shoes, rain starts pounding hard at the windows. After realizing that I would get instantly drenched if I went outside I checked the weather map and it said that it wasn't going to subside anytime soon. I decided to crawl back into bed and salvage an hour of sleep and vowed to do my 3 mile run the next day.

So for today’s run my big question is where did all of the bugs come from?? Seriously, they were not here two days ago, I’ve been running this same route at the same time of day for about a month now and I have never encountered a bug before. I was about a half mile into the run and had already swatted away several when I looked down at my shirt and realized that I was covered in gnats!! I had at least 25-30 that I could see and probably more that I couldn’t. So while running, up the big hill mind you, I start frantically swatting at these things trying to at least get them off of my clothes!! Now, the bugs did offer a little bit of a distraction from the run, but it is not a method that I would recommend. I don’t think that I ate any bugs, but I can’t really guarantee that I didn’t. I had a couple of bugs up my nose, I had one crawl underneath my headphones to get into my ear and I even had two that got into my sports bra that I didn’t find until I hit the shower. I’m still confused about how the bugs got into my sports bra, but I don’t really think that I want to know!!

So even if you take out the bugs, the run wasn’t great. I really wanted to run a practice 5K, but only made it to 2.5 miles in a little over 30 minutes. My husband did better at 2.9 miles, I need to try harder next week to keep up or else I will really start to fall behind. Our daily runs are about to jump up to 3 miles, which means doing the hill in our neighborhood at least twice, which is still a big challenge.

Also, I had a coke for dinner and probably shouldn’t have and I was really feeling the effects of being a little bit dehydrated on a humid morning. On a good note, my shoulders and upper back have not been near as sore this week finally!! I do feel like I am getting stronger overall and am just continuing to jump into this headfirst.

On the schedule for tomorrow is a short confidence boosting run before a rest day and the 5K!!

No comments:

Post a Comment