Monday, July 12, 2010

Relaxed Monday Run

My first race is this weekend!! I am running a 5K with my brother, SIL and husband. And although I will probably be last between all four of us my individual goal is just to run the whole thing without walking. If I can do that my time wil probably be between 34 minutes and 36 minutes hopefully. I’m nervous about the whole race experience since I do run pretty slow, but I’m sure that we will all have fun together!!

For the most part today’s run felt pretty good. It was drizzling a little bit, which was the first time that it had rained at all for any of my morning runs. We haven’t gotten a lot of rain here lately, although the thunderstorms are supposed to be back this week along with the humidity. I actually wanted to get up early and run this morning, which seems to have helped with the sore shoulders. I think when I fight it the whole time and grumble because I’m not still in bed that it makes the whole run more stressful. Or maybe not, it could just be that I ran at a more relaxed pace today, a 12:30 minute mile for 2.3 miles.

My next big goal is to work on the 1.5 mile side stitch. This is where I start to get a little bit more out of breath and I try to fight the stitch and put up with the pain as long as possible, but I gave in today and walked for maybe 2 minutes. I’ve read solutions for helping with getting rid of a side stitch, but I swear that I only make it worse when I try to change my breathing patterns.

"To a runner a side stitch is like a car alarm. It tells you something is wrong, but you just ignore it until it goes away."

No comments:

Post a Comment