Friday, July 2, 2010

Why I signed up for a Half-Marathon

About three weeks ago, my sister-in-law mentioned that she was planning to run a half-marathon at the end of September. She ran a half-marathon a few years ago and wanted the motivation of a race to get back into shape. So she starts trying to coax me and Philip (her older brother and my husband) into doing it with her.

At first I flat-out refused saying that I was not a runner by any definition of the word. I finally conceded saying that if she could talk Philip into running the race (good luck), than I would do it too. I didn’t really give it a second though, but after a few days Philip decided that maybe we should give it a try and see how it feels. Being that we are both perfectly healthy 26 year olds, a half-marathon should theoretically not be out of our reach.

So that following week, we woke up at 6:00AM to squeeze in a 15 minute run/walk around our neighborhood before work. And then begrudgingly we got up again and did it the next day too.

At this point after two 6:00AM runs I started to believe that my husband was serious about this whole half-marathon deal. So I decided to SIT DOWN AND RUN. I went to the computer to look up the basics and decided to go ahead and set up a training schedule. I like to have things planned out, especially things as ominous as a half-marathon. Knowing that the schedule said that we would be ready helped ease me into the idea of actually training to run 13.1 miles at one time.

The schedule that I choose was one that I honestly felt that I could at least start. It was actually a training schedule for a 10K race in 12 weeks and since we had 14 weeks before the half-marathon I figured that we could just tag a few extra miles on at the end and be close enough.

My goal for the half-marathon is simply to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment