Saturday, July 3, 2010

Brief History of my Attempts to Run

I think the first time that I had to run a mile in elementary school, I managed to finish in just under 15:00 minutes. Now I know what you’re thinking, but I was neither an overweight child nor one that was un-athletic. In fact I liked to play sports and enjoyed spending time outside, but for some reason this whole let’s run around the track four times in a row thing just didn’t sit right with me.

By the time that I got to High School I had picked up the pace a little bit and was running the mile somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00 minutes twice a year as required by the state. My freshman year in college I would occasionally run with the girls in my dorm, but it didn’t take long for me to get involved with intramurals instead.

I ran my fastest mile time in college at around 8:00 minutes. My friend and I had gotten into an unintentional race where neither of us was willing to show weakness by slowing down.

After college my running consisted of several failed attempts at the treadmill, and then finally falling into a workout routine that did not involve any form of running.

Today I ran 2.25 miles in 25:30 minutes, which was a big improvement from last weeks 2.0 miles in 27:00 minutes. I was supposed to run for 30 minutes today and judged that the distance with my previous pace would be about right, but I hadn’t expected that running on the hills in my neighborhood during the week was actually helping. Running on a flat trail was definitely a confidence boost this morning.

I also found out today that one of my husband’s cousins is going to run with us as well, bringing the total to 6 people. This is a great way to keep us all motivated to keep going!!

No comments:

Post a Comment