Friday, August 6, 2010

3.1 Miles in 38:17 Minutes

I had three miles to complete last night on the treadmill, so I set out to beat my official 5K time of 38:41 to make sure that I was running hard enough. On the treadmill it is easy to stick to a slow pace and allow myself to get distracted by the TVs (although I was kind of disappointed the Food Network was not on last night) and not give it any additional effort with lack of hills and such. I suppose it is getting easier to run, at least now I know that I can run three miles even if that still includes a few walk breaks. It was nice to know that out of three walk breaks two were for side stitches and just one to catch my breath around the 2.25 mile mark because I had started to run too fast to try to make up some time.

I got a side stitch much earlier last night and pretty ran the entire first two miles with at least some sort of discomfort even after trying to walk it off twice. Finally after about 2.5 miles I started to get into it and fell into a much better pace to make up for some of that lost time spent walking.

Lately I have been debating on whether or not to add a fourth day of running into my schedule, but time just didn’t allow it this week. Maybe next week if I can run on Monday or Friday or the temperatures drop back into the low 70’s in the morning then it would be easier. It is supposed to be much cooler on Saturday morning, 71ºF so we are for sure planning on running that one outside.

Also tonight I am going to go try on some running shoes!! I think that my shoes are fairly comfortable, but I am interested to see what the differences are. So I may or may not be trying out a new pair of shoes on our 5 mile run tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment