Monday, August 2, 2010

Treadmill Running


Wednesday night was another run on the treadmill at the gym (3.0 miles in 38:30 minutes). After some solid advice from the www.runnersworld.com forums I tried adding some incline to the treadmill and occasionally changing up the speeds to attempt to simulate what it is like to run outside. After adding the incline there was a noticeable change in the comfort of running on my knees.

I had good intentions of getting up early to run outside for Saturday’s long run. I had even mapped out a cool route downtown along the river, but some late Friday night activities that involved giant margaritas made that impractical. So Saturday just before dinner I went to the gym to run on the treadmill again. (4.0 miles in 53:33 minutes) It was definitely a lot slower than normal, I was taking it easy for reasons that weren’t related to running, but it still felt good.

I feel like running on the treadmill is too easy at times and I really need to push myself this week to get out there and run on the roads and in the heat/humidity. I feel like part of the reason that the treadmill is easy is that I actually pace myself correctly and maintain a slower pace for longer instead of tapering throughout the whole run. Maybe this is a good thing; maybe it means that I’m not pushing myself enough while watching the Food Network at the gym? I will tackle the hill in my neighborhood again this week, it has been too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment