Tuesday, August 10, 2010

5 Mile Long Run

So this weekend was kind of crazy, but in a good way. I did get to the running store on Friday, but decided not to buy any shoes. I actually didn’t try any on either. The store clerk, while helpful didn’t seem knowledgeable enough so we decided to wait and check out a different running store.

Saturday we got up late, again and ran on the treadmill, again. I think that next weekend I will try to do my long run on Sunday instead, since Saturday morning just isn’t working out for me. I ran 5 miles in 1:05:52. I wish that I had something to record my mile splits, because the first four miles felt great and I was right on target speed wise, but that last one was really hard and it probably took me close to 15 minutes to finish. My legs were just getting really heavy and I was struggling to make it to 5 miles. This is probably the first time that I have run, where I felt like I had reached my limit for the day.

I spent the rest of Saturday taking advantage of my state’s tax-free shopping weekend, which did translate to a lot of walking. The walking definitely helped ease the tension and soreness that I felt after our long run, so I woke up the next morning feeling great.

Sunday my husband and I had made plans to hike Mt. Le Conte, which is one of the highest peaks in the Smoky Mountains. It was a 5.5 mile hike up to the highest point with an elevation change of 2,700 feet from the trailhead. It was an amazing feeling to be that high above everything else!! I love hiking and this was certainly some good cross-training it took us 3 hours to hike to the top of Mt. Le Conte and about 2.5 hours to hike back down to the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment