Monday, August 16, 2010

Goal 6 Miles; Actual 2.4 Miles

So this week’s long run didn’t exactly go as planned. I got up early Sunday morning to try out a local walking trail with a loop of about 1.2 miles. I was really excited to be running outside and had been looking forward to it all week. The problem that I ran into was that by the time that I really got started running it was nearly 80ºF and I just really wasn’t able to go as far as I should have. I was having trouble staying hydrated, since I wasn’t used to sweating that much on the treadmill. I really need more water while running than I realized. After two laps (2.4 miles) I stopped because I was feeling a little dizzy, and ended up just walking one more lap before heading home. I felt good about the running that I did do, and my knees felt a whole lot better than they do on the treadmill. I wasn’t too tired either; I guess I just need to work on drinking more water before and during the run.

On the bright side my pace was a lot better than on the treadmill with an average of 11:30 over the 2.4 miles. (11:00 mm on the first lap and 12:00 on the second lap, since I walked just a little bit).

I also signed up for a local 10K over Labor Day weekend that I’m really excited about. I really wanted to do another race before the half-marathon to get a better feel for running a longer distance with a crowd. This is a much bigger race than the last one that I did, so I’m hoping that there is a good turnout.

Tonight I am heading to the gym to try the long run again on the treadmill, but I’m nervous about doing 6 miles. On my last long run 4.5 miles seemed to be about my limit, so we’ll see how those last 1.5 miles go tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment